2012/06/05

New Plastic Canadian Bills - Opinion

-----So you've heard of the new Canadian currency of bills that's starting. Some bills are already released, such as the $100 bills. I myself held one.. Let me rephrase, I held enough to be up to $4500 worth. Let me say, holding that much money in general felt odd but pretty nice at the same time. However, I have an opinion on it. I realized something about this "plastic" money...

     Money can be put into a curved-bend... but it cannot be folded. Not one bit. That's aggravating! And how can one but money into their wallets now? Its not just a fold-and-store-away thing anymore. You can't bend plastic. Yeah, sure, it makes it "impossible" to make fake copies. News flash, nothing's impossible. I can guarantee there will be at least 5 people who find out how to fake this type of money. Its plastic, and there are a lot of plastic companies out there. Anyway.. In my opinion and own mind, I've decided I hate the bills, and the common $5 and $20 bills aren't even out yet. I don't want to live with the idea that I can no longer fold money and if I try, I'll have a broken/destroyed wallet from it being forced into such a... expanded state, the seams, or the metal would burst/break. Or if I put it in my pocket, it may be pretty obvious what's in my pocket- Money. My mom had quite a few plastic bills about a month ago. She could barely fit three into her purse, let alone, say, ten. She couldn't close her wallet. After fifteen minute of fighting to get it shut, it was thr-, no, four times as big as it was before she put just a few bills in there. That's pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

     All in all, I'm just saying I hate the idea of plastic money and will hate having plastic money. Paper money can rip, yeah, but it can also be mended and still used because machines will accept them. These plastic- or should I actually say polymer... can also crack. If they're cracked, there about as useful as toilet paper accidentally dropped in water. Despite it being unusually difficult to officially fold it, its actually as thin as tin foil. When there's even the tiniest crack in it, put a hand on one side, pull the other, snap. Its broken in half and you can no longer use it. That says a whole lot, doesn't it?

Here. This is part of an article I found on Yahoo.

"
The Cambridge Times reported one family in the southern Ontario town discovered the bills can melt if put too close to a heat source.
Nicolas Billard's son put eight of the new $100 bills - his Christmas bonus - into a chocolate tin behind a couch near a heater. When he went to retrieve them to deposit in the bank, they'd shriveled.
Billard's mother, Mona, sent the melted money to the Bank of Canada, which will examine it to determine whether it can be redeemed.
"We've never heard of a situation like this," Manuel Parreira, Bank of Canada spokesman for Ontario, told the Times.
Bank currency spokeswoman Julie Girard said the new bills can withstand temperatures down to -61C and boiling water but would melt if exposed to extreme heat. But she added such heat would burn paper.
The Bank of Canada is proceeding with its phased replacement of paper bills with the new polymer models. The plastic $50 is due to be issued in March, with $20, $10 and $50 bills due next year.""
(Yahoo!News, Steve Mertl, 'Durability of Canada's new plastic currency questioned')

Think about it. Just think about it, okay? The paper money is more durable than the plastic stuff. Want more proof? http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/20120119/Manitoba-man-rip-test-exposes-flaw-new-bill-120119/

Want the paper bills back? Sign this petition. http://www.thepetitionsite.com/953/479/694/bring-back-paper-bills-in-canada/



~Matt

2 comments:

  1. You has a great blog. I'm just blog walking, and very interesting to stopping here and leaves you a comment. Good work.

    Lets keep writing and blogging

    Nb: Dont forget to leave your comment back for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you~ :)
      Didn't think anybody would read anything I ever put out. ^^;

      Delete